These last couple weeks have really tested my workout routine. If you follow me on Instagram you know that Chris surprised me with a puppy as an early birthday gift! I cried like a baby and was SO SURPRISED. Let me gush on my future husband for a second, then I’ll get back to the purpose of this post – sticking to your workout routine.
When Chris and I moved into our house in March, the first thing I said was “now we can get a puppy!” It just made sense – we have a doggy door in our living room for crying out loud and the perfect little fenced in yard for a furry friend. We also both have somewhat flexible schedules (Chris works from home), so we wouldn’t be leaving the pup for long periods of time during the day. However, Chris is allergic to dogs, so our choices were somewhat limited. Side note: when Max licks Chris’ mouth, his lip swells LOL. No worries though, his mama gives and receives plenty of Max kisses!
Everything worked out because I always knew I wanted another cockapoo (I have a chocolate cockapoo, Georgia, in Arkansas) and that particuluar breed is “hypoallergenic” for my sensitive man ? A few weeks ago, I randomly looked at Georgia’s breeder’s website and saw there were puppies available. The breeder only has a few litters a year, so I was excited to see available pups. Immediately, I fell in love with a little man named “Benji.” He was a dark apricot color and was the definition of perfection. He just spoke to me! I couldn’t get the little guy off my mind, so I texted Chris pictures daily/hourly and contacted the breeder to see if he was still available and he was! Chris and I chatted that night, but he felt more comfortable waiting to get a dog until after the wedding since we have a lot going on. I was disappointed (okay, I was PISSED and immediately poured a large glass of wine), but I understood, so I dropped it, but I still thought of Benji all the time.
One morning (a couple of weeks ago) Chris briefly mentioned that he had a surprise for me after work. I first thought puppy, but then I talked myself out of it, there was no way. We had multiple conversations on this topic, plus, the breeder is in Mississippi and he had been in Dallas all week. Then, I settled on it was probably something for the house. When I got home from work that day, Chris met me in the garage with a present. I opened it and it was a collar and matching leash from our good friend’s company, E&B Couture. The collar read “Maxwell Peterson” with my phone number (we had boy and girl dog names already picked out). I ran inside and Chris’ mom was on the floor with him and he sprinted towards me. It was instant love and I couldn’t believe he was ours! A huge thank you to Chris’ mom, who drove to Mississippi from Memphis, then drove little man to Dallas to meet his parents! Very grateful.
Chris and I are SO IN LOVE with our little man! He is the best puppy. And my future hubs makes life SO MUCH FUN! Chris is honestly the most thoughtful guy out there. I am so lucky to do life with him!
All of this brings me to the fact that things have been crazy in our household and workouts have not been top of mind to say the least. Crate training and potty training this little dude is quite a task! I honestly can’t even imagine human babies; it gives me heart palpitations just thinking about it.
So, I’ve really had to think about my workout routine and make it a priority because exercise keeps me sane. Here are some ways that help me stay on track with my workout routine, and hopefully they can help you do the same.
- Plan – Write it Down! Do you remember the assignment books you had in grade school? Well, I have rocked one every year since then. So, I sign up for my classes ahead of time and carve out my workouts a week in advance and highlight them. (Side note: If something is highlighted that means serious biz). Then I coordinate the rest of my week around my planned workouts. See my favorite planner brand here. Erin Condren is my spirit animal.
- Make it a priority – EVERYONE has 15 minutes. If you don’t make it a priority, it will not happen! Exercise/working out is a huge priority of mine because it helps me manage my stress and anxiety levels.
- Find a Workout Partner – If you schedule a class with a friend, you are more likely to attend rather than cancel last minute. Plan a fun brunch after class, then chances are you will not cancel!
- AM Workouts – Three mornings each week, wake up an hour earlier and hit the gym or your favorite class. It’s easy to tell yourself you’ve had a busy and/or rough day, and skip your PM workout. Also, AM workouts set a positive tone for the day. Monday AM workouts are a must-have for me.
5. Home Workouts – Make use of what you have at home or have your go-to body weight exercises if you are unable to make it to the gym. I’ll be posting a body-weight home workout soon. Mine has definitely come in handy these last few weeks as we adjust to life with Max. For the time being, check out my ab workout and tabata workouts as well!
All of these definitely help me stay accountable and consistent with my workout routine, especially #1. What do y’all do to keep on track with your workout schedule?!
Happy Tuesday friends! I am off to Boston for work the rest of the week and I can’t wait to explore the city. I’ve never been! Send any and all recommendations my way 🙂